Body Issues

I finally broke down.  I purchased a couple of new items for my summer capsule.  BUT, it was a deliberate breakdown.  Let me tell you what happened.  There were two items in my capsule that I just wasn’t feeling no matter how hard I tried: my striped sun dress and my light colored (maternity) shorts. So I replaced them. 
  
       
                                                           Black Dress                                  Jean Shorts

Here’s the thing, I have really struggled with body image since giving birth to Kit.  It has been hard for me to feel good in anything I put on. My body has changed so much that it feels…foreign. I’ve always been pretty in tune with my body.  We used the Fertility Awareness Method of birth control for five years successfully and so I’m not kidding when I say that I knew what was going on at all times. Now my hormones aren’t predictable, I bloat in places I never used to, I have gobs of cellulite, etc. I know that my body went through an incredible thing and I’m not writing this for sympathy or to complain.  Sometimes it just helps to verbalize something. You know? 

All that to say, the shorts and the dress were making me feel especially self conscious.  The shorts were just too short and they really emphasized my muffin top and the dress was just too tight and short.  What I don’t want is for my capsule to turn into a punishment device and so I decided to break my own rules and get two items that I feel so much more confident in.  And you know what?  I’m not sorry I did.  Here’s the difference from what I would have done before though: I deliberated, talked to David, and stayed well within our budget.  It felt good!  What about you?  Have you ever broken your own rules because something just wasn’t working?  Do any other post partum mom’s struggle with this? Please tell me I’m not alone!

Until next time,






No comments