Summer 2015 Capsule Wardrobe

Finally the fun part!  This capsule took about a month of serious whittling until I came up with the 40 items pictured below.  I did not mean to end up with a round number, but I think it’s a great place to start. One thing to mention is that some of the images below are representations of clothing items that I own. A lot of the clothes are older, but I wanted to give you options just in case you wanted to add some of these items to your very own capsule. I feel like I should apologize for the lack of color, but I can’t.  Ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you that monochromatic is my jam. Although I'm pretty proud of the green wedges I included.  We'll see how many wears I get out of them. On that note… without further ado:


White T-Shirt: Save or Spend, White Graphic T-Shirt: Save or Spend or Splurge, White Tank Top: Save or Spend, White Sleeveless Blouse: Save or Spend, White Button Down: Save or Spend, Grey Hoodie: Save or Spend, Grey Tank Top: Save or Spend, Grey T-Shirt: Save or Spend, Grey Peplum Top: Save or Spend, Gingham Sleeveless Blouse: Spend or Splurge, Striped Sweatshirt: Save or Splurge, Striped Tank Top: Save or Splurge, Striped Graphic T-Shirt: Spend, Black Blouse: Save or Spend, Black Lace Sleeveless Top: Save or Spend, Chambray Button Down: Save or Spend, Jean Jacket: Save or Spend, Pink Tank Top: Save or Spend, Cream Cardigan: Save or Spend


White Jean Shorts: Save or Spend, Light Wash Jean Shorts: Save or Spend, Grey Jogger Shorts: Save or Spend, Dark Wash Jean Shorts: Save or Spend, Black Linen Shorts: Save or Spend, Chambray Skirt: Spend, Grey Midi Dress: Save or Spend, Striped Sun Dress: Save or Spend, Black Romper: Save or Spend, Black Maxi Dress: Save or Spend or Just for Fun Because I Love it, Boyfriend Jeans: Save or Spend, High Wasted Jeans: Save or Spend, Black Jeggings: Save or Spend


Cognac Sandals: Save or Spend, Converse Sneakers: Save or Spend, Black D’Orsay Flats: Save or Spend, Chacos: Save or Spend, Green Wedges: Save or Spend, Black “Birkenstock” Sandals: Save or Spend, Black Gladiator Sandals: Save or Spend, Black Heels: Save or Spend

As I mentioned above, most of these clothes where items I already owned.  The biggest thing for me to purchase this time around was shorts.  Last summer I was pregnant and I definitely don't fit into the shorts from the summer before that (were my hips really that size before getting pregnant??).  However... confession time: the light wash jeans in my capsule are totally pregnancy shorts.  Mama's got to do what Mama's got to do.  Also, I may have made a mistake in adding the white shorts. Time will tell... I have already spilled chili on them, sat on chocolate, and most recently my six month old pooped on them. 

The area I struggled the most in whittling was in the shoe department.  Surprisingly, I have a lot of emotional connections to some of my sandals.  I've had several pairs for over ten years and I honestly do still love them.  However, I didn't feel like they were a necessary part of my wardrobe so they were truncated.  The exception is my beloved pair of Chacos.  I bought them my junior year of college right before I traipsed around South America for three and a half months and they have been faithful companions ever since.  

I didn't have a set budget this go around.  I'm still working out exactly what I want that to look like for future capsules.  The only things that I felt were missing from my capsule once it started to come together were the striped sweatshirt, white button down, and cream cardigan.  Everything else I already owned.  

This is an outrageously long post so we will leave it there for now before your scrolling finger gets a cramp.  Starting next week I will be showing you different ways of styling all of these pieces.  I should definitely put out a disclaimer that I am NOT a stylist… for real. I have major limitations in that area.  If you’re looking for something a bit more professional, check out my sister’s blog.  She’s all kinds of professional. 

If you’re looking for even more inspiration, follow me on social media.  I’ll be posting daily #ootd’s. You can find links under my photo at the top right of the page.

Until next time,



2 comments

  1. Looooved this article! To justify all the new clothes I bought on madewell.com after reading your article (maybe ironic?) I cleaned out my closet this am and it feels great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nat! haha Sometimes you do have to purge and repurchase in order to get a closet you love! :)

    ReplyDelete